Eastern Branch, National Home for D. V. S., Maine
Softcover souvenir book, approximately 10-3/4" by 7-3/4", filled with many photographs of the extensive grounds of what started as the Eastern Branch National Home for Disabled Volunteer Soldiers at Togus Springs, Maine.
It's now operated by the Veterans Administration and is known as the Maine VA Health Center. Read more about the history of the National Home for D.V.S. here.
National Soldiers' Home, Maine
The Eastern Branch of the National Home for Disabled Volunteer Soldiers was established by act of Congress approved March 21st, 1866, on what was then known as the Togus Springs Estate and the first member was admitted October 6th, 1866. It is located five miles to the eastward of the cities of Augusta, Hallowell and Gardiner; has an average membership of 2496 men; covers an area of 1894 acres; and is reached by the Lewiston, Augusta and Waterville Electric Railway from Augusta, and the Kennebec Central Railroad from Gardiner. Cost for land, buildings and permanent improvements, $772,427.45.
Eastern Branch, National Home
Photographs and Printing
The Hugh C. Leighton Co.l
Left: Major James W. Wadsworth
President Board of Managers
Right: General Joseph Smith
Officers of the Home
1st Line - Col. John T. Richards, Governor; Maj. A. L. Smith, Treasurer; Maj. B. D. Ridlon, Surgeon
2nd Line - Capt. George A. Mitchell, Quartermas
3rd Line - Capt. W. S. A. Kimball, 1st Asst. Surgeon; Lieut. B. F. Hayden, 2nd Asst. Surgeon; Lieut. H. W. Sampton, 3rd Asst. Surgeon; Lieut. H. K. Stinson, 4th Asst. Surgeon
1st Line - Lieut. J. L. Rea, Sergeant Major; Lieut. G. J. Jeffrey, Q.M. Sergeant; Lieut. Charles McCullough
Lieut. O. F. Glidden, Hospital Steward; Lieut. G. W. Towle, Commissary Sergeant
2nd Line - Capt. Henry Negravel, K Co.; Capt. C. B. Chollar, M Co.; Capt. Daniel McAdams, E Co.; Capt. G. A. L. Snow, B Co.;
Capt. W. S. Oakman, L Co.
3rd Line - Capt. James Hickey, H Co.; Capt. G. W. Belcher, C Co.; Capt. Merrill Moore, I Co.; Capt. G. J. Page, D Co.
4th Line - Capt. W. W. Savage, G Co.; Capt. B. F. Stoddard, N Co.